GNU, security, and RMS

Mike Taylor maujf at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 02:17:28 AEST 1989

[Someone claims that the average user wants security on his machines]
In article <19896 at adm.BRL.MIL> bzs at bu-cs.bu.edu (Barry Shein) writes:
> Although I'd probably agree with what you're trying to say I just want
> to point out that 10 Million PC's and about 1 Million Mac's say you're
> (we're?) wrong.  11 million users voted with their pocketbooks, hard
> to dispute.

Irrelevant.  People don't buy MACs and PCs because that don't want
security, they buy them because (A) their friends have them, (B) they
can afford them, and (C) they can understand them (or think they can).
To compare sales figures for PCs with those for UNIX/VMS installations
is fallacious.  You might just as well say that because more toilet
rolls are bought every day than Sun4, therefore what people really
want in a computer is to be able to wipe their backside (translationb
for Transatlantics: "ass" :-) with it.
Mike Taylor - {Christ,M{athemat,us}ic}ian ...  Email to: mirk at uk.ac.warwick.cs