B.E.M. (was: The Great Vi Controversy)

Victor Gavin vic at zen.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 21:29:25 AEST 1989

In article <49631 at oliveb.olivetti.com> swirsky at olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
>> A number of people pointed out that the vi manual says vee-eye is correct.
>
>Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
>"gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
>that person knows what he/she's talking about.
>
>Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Well, in my copy of the Encyclopaedia Galactica, under gigabyte, it says that
most mature species in the galaxy don't deal in such trivially small amounts
of memory.

It also says, under pronunciation, that the idea behind speech is to
communicate so it doesn't matter how it's pronounced.

It also has a foot note which says that you should never try to correct
Large Green Bug Eyed Monsters about such things as they normally carry
around large implements for *squashing* pedants.

Well I thought it was getting kinda silly :-)

			vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic at zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road