The Great Vi Giga-Controversy

Mike Van Pelt mvp at v7fs1.UUCP
Fri Oct 27 07:44:27 AEST 1989

In article <291 at orchid.warwick.ac.uk> maujt at warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) writes:
:In article <2511 at munnari.oz.au> ok at cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
:>In article <49631 at oliveb.olivetti.com>, swirsky at olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
:>[says that wizards pronounce "gigabyte" with a soft g"]
:>> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.
:>The Concise Oxford says that both hard and soft are allowed.
:The Colins English (2nd ed) says hard g, as in 'gig'.

The Random House Unabridged says hard or soft g.

In the Real World, I have never heard giga- pronounced with a soft g.
The only time I have *ever* heard giga- prounounced with a soft g is in
the movie "Back to the Future", which hardly counts as "the Real World".
--
Mike Van Pelt                     Will your long-winded speeches never
Headland Technology/Video 7       end?  What ails you that you keep on