Job Control (a la csh/ksh) from within C

Simon Taylor simon at vision.UUCP
Tue Oct 10 22:51:18 AEST 1989

In article <20040 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>-In article <320 at sopwith.UUCP> snoopy at sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>->Henry, Henry, Henry.  Job control is necessary even with a window system.
>->Otherwise how does one stop a process without killing it?
>
>In article <1989Oct6.164830.5856 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
>answers:
>-One tells the system to suspend it.  Yes, this does require some sort of
>-facility for doing so.  No, it does not require mysterious signals with
>-bizarre semantics, magic control characters, or any of the other sludge
>-that job control brings along.  You've got other windows, remember -- you
>-can use one of them to request the suspension, and to fiddle with the
>-process thereafter.
>
>How do I get the second window on my H19 here?
>
>One of the things that bothers me about many of these fancy windowing
>systems is that there is no way to dial in and use them.

	No problem, we regularly use our windowing product (PC-Connect)
	over 2400 and 1200 baud modem links..... in fact it there are a
	number of advantages in that you can switch from job to job without
	having any data passing over the comms link, and since PC-Connect
	uses the PC running Microsoft Windows to handle the display, changing
	the size of windows etc. similarly does not require any data to pass
	over the comms link.
	This means that overall it makes a typical modem session a lot
	easier to handle.

Simon Taylor                    UUCP    : simon at vision.uucp
VisionWare Ltd                  BANGNET : ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!vision!simon
Systime House                   PHONE   : +44 532 529292 Ex. 2458
Leeds Business Park             FAX     : +44 532 526614
Leeds LS27 0JG                  TELEX   : 556283 SYSTIM G
England