Job Control (a la csh/ksh) from within C

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Thu Oct 12 05:54:34 AEST 1989

In article <20040 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
|One of the things that bothers me about many of these fancy windowing
|systems is that there is no way to dial in and use them.

See "At Home With X11/NeWS" in the June 1989 USENIX Proceedings.  One
of the things that bothers me about most windowing systems is that
they need a lot of communication between server/client, which is
painful over slow connections.  The NeWS technique is better since
many operations are local to the server and need no communication at
all.  I wouldn't have picked postscript for my language, though.

Of course you still need that bitmapped terminal at home for that, but
then again we all have one, right ;-).

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com