Bash on a 3b2/300 (Porting help needed)

Joe Konczal konczal at mail-gw.ncsl.nist.gov
Thu Oct 19 07:18:03 AEST 1989

   From: Stephen Underwood <heechee at ACM.RPI.EDU>
   Date: 16 Oct 89 18:49:49 GMT

   I'm in the process of trying to port Bash (the bourne again shell) from
   the gnu project to a 3b2 300 runing SYS V rel 3.1.  After about a week of
   serious hacking around I have the thinkg compiling, but it refuses
   to link due to the lack of 4 symbols.

      sigblock
      sigsetmask
      sys_siglist
      sigpause

   Does anyone know A) What theese routines do?  B) How to get around them?

   -Stephen H. Underwood  -heechee at acm.rpi.edu   -usere3v4 at mts.rpi.edu

These are system calls used in bash to implement job control on BSD
systems, except for sys_siglist which is an array of signal names.
Look at the "#ifdef SYSV...#else...#endif" sections in nojobs.c to see
the corresponding SYS V names.

(I installed bash yestreday on a Sun 3 running SunOS 4 with no problems.)

In the bash Makefile, if OS is defined as SYSV, and JOB_CONTROL is
undefined, and SIGLIST is defined as siglist.o, then none of the
symbols mentioned above should be required to link bash unless you've
hacked it to death.

Joe Konczal