memory allocation problem under SunOS 3.5

Ned D. Danieley ndd at macbeth.cs.duke.edu
Tue Oct 17 06:08:33 AEST 1989

I have an X11 client, that, until recently, worked just fine.
However, during the past month, it has taken to dumping core
when trying to display data. I can run the program 10 times,
and it'll fail about 80% of the time. sometimes specifying
different amounts of data (both more and less) gets around
the problem.  using adb on the core points to a routine that
appears to be fine.  I tried using the debugging version of
malloc(), and calling malloc_verify in the offending routine.
I get

malloc_verify: bad block size (52232960) at 0x7a904

those numbers tend to be fairly reproducible for a given date
file. unfortunately, I don't know what to do now. Can anyone
give me any suggestions as to how to track this down? the only
change we've made lately is to move our 50s to 8M, but this
problem also happens on my 3/280, which hasn't been upgraded.

SunOs 3.5, X11R3 fixes 1-10, gcc 1.34
happens on 3/50, 3/110, 3/280.

Ned Danieley (ndd at sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 660-5111 or 660-5100