Job Control (a la csh/ksh) from within C

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sat Oct 14 11:41:28 AEST 1989

As quoted from <20040 at mimsy.UUCP> by chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
+---------------
| In article <1989Oct6.164830.5856 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
| answers:
| -One tells the system to suspend it.  Yes, this does require some sort of
| -facility for doing so.  No, it does not require mysterious signals with
| -bizarre semantics, magic control characters, or any of the other sludge
| -that job control brings along.  You've got other windows, remember -- you
| -can use one of them to request the suspension, and to fiddle with the
| -process thereafter.
|
| How do I get the second window on my H19 here?
| One of the things that bothers me about many of these fancy windowing
| systems is that there is no way to dial in and use them.
+---------------

Sigh.  Chris, MultiView works fine over a serial port, albeit at a slight loss
of speed.  (I'm talking 2400 baud here, not V.32.)  I suspect screen will work
as well, although a curses-based windowing utility will probably be a bit more
painful.  Then again, watching MultiView dump core when it tries to work with
a Falco 5000 isn't a whole lot of fun, either. :-(

VAGUELY RELATED QUESTION:

How does one go about using System V pty's accessed through the Streams clone
interface?  I can't quite figure out how one gets from /dev/pty to a master
*and* a slave device, unless one opens /dev/pty, fstat()'s the file descriptor,
and mknod()'s the slave -- which sounds uuuuuuuugly to me, requires root
permissions (for the mknod), and you have to know the major number for the
ttypX device.

Is there in fact a relatively clean way to do this which doesn't require me to
hard-code a major device number and make my program setuid, or is it as badly
designed as it seems to be at first glance?

Thanks in advance,
++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu bsa at telotech.uucp