vmunix: stropen: out of streams in SunOS 4.0 ??

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Oct 17 10:32:41 AEST 1989

 >Although I've never had this problem, it looks like you are running
 >out of space in a kernel table, which doesn't seem awfully wierd on a
 >heavily loaded system.

That's what's happening.

 >It's so easy to reconfigure the SunOS 4.0 kernel you might hardly need
 >to look at the instructions in "System and Network Administsration",
 >Chapter 9.  According a comment near the top of the generic
 >configuration file, /usr/share/sys/sun4/conf/GENERIC, the sizes of
 >"various kernel data structures" are controlled by `maxusers'.
 >Increase `maxusers' and your problem will probably go away until a lot
 >more users login or the load of the server is even higher.

That may not help.  The table in question is the table of stream heads,
and it's not controlled by "maxusers" in 4.0 or 4.0.1, although it is so
controlled in 4.0.3.  You have to tweak NSTREAM in the "param.c" file
for your kernel - or tweak the generic "param.c" in
"/usr/share/sys/conf.common" to be a function of MAXUSERS (4.0.3 has it
as "24 + 2 * MAXUSERS") or wrap

	#ifndef NSTREAM
	#endif

around it and put "options NSTREAM=xxx" in your config file.

>You might as well remove all the things you don't need from your kernel
>configuration while you're at it.

"While you're at it"?  I hope nobody out there is running generic 4.0.x
kernels - you're paying for all sorts of drivers and possibly file
system types that you don't need unless your Sun is loaded up like a
Christmas tree.  Run a configured SunOS kernel - this definitely goes
for 4.x, but also goes for 3.x as well, and may well go for other
systems such as Ultrix....