vmunix: stropen: out of streams in SunOS 4.0 ??

Eric Ho eho at clarity.Princeton.EDU
Thu Oct 12 03:34:15 AEST 1989

Has anyone out there seen such things before ?

I keep getting these "vmunix:  stropen: out of streams" messages on my Sun-4
server. We are running SunOS 4.0 on the entire net.  The server is a
Sun-4/280S-24 running GENERIC kernel. It usually happens when we've a lot of
users login to the server or when the load of the server is high.  The server
has a standard Eagle & a Hitachi DK15 -- both of them hooked off a Xylogics
451.  Other things on the server include a 1/4-inch scsi cartridage tape drive
and an ALM-1 board.  And I've already allocated over 35 meg of swap for the
server.

My initial guess is that there is something weird with the kernel since there
are ample of swap space & ram (24 meg) on this server.

Here is an excerpt from /var/adm/messages :-
Oct 11 11:46:46 clarity vmunix: stropen: out of streams
Oct 11 11:47:40 clarity vmunix: stropen: out of streams

Any pointers/info would be much appreciated.
--

Eric Ho
Princeton University
eho at confidence.princeton.edu