UNIX history made easy

Ross Ihaka ihaka at diamond.tmc.edu
Fri Oct 6 23:40:42 AEST 1989

In article <7604 at bunny.GTE.COM> abh0 at GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) writes:
|Until the last year or two the Ivy schools have been predominantly
|Non-UNIX oriented. Schools with lots of money to spend traditionally
|spent it on big hardware (read IBM/Honeywell/Cyber/Univac/Pr1me) whereas
|spendthrifty schools purchased PDP's and VAXen.

My experience as a faculty member at Yale was that that particular
big money school had rooms full of Apollo machines and Vaxen, almost
none of them running Unix.   The vice-provost I lobbied about changing
things told me that there was no demand for Unix and he couldn't see why
I was interested in it.  It didn't seem to be a question of bucks.
Things do seem to have changed in CS,  they have replaced their Apollos
with Suns.  The rest of the university is probably still stuck with PCs,
VMS and VM.
	Ross