UNIX history made easy

Andrew Hudson abh0 at GTE.COM
Fri Oct 6 05:44:06 AEST 1989

In article <4027 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	What has this world come to?  We recently hired a new programmer,
>fresh out of a highly respected computer science at a highly respected ivy
                                                                        ^^^
>league school.  Burrowing through the mess on my desk, I discovered an
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>announcment of a talk Ken Thompson gave last week at a local Unix user's
>group meeting.  "Hey Brent, you want to go see Ken Thompson last week?"
>"Who?"  "Ken Thompson."  "Who's that?"  "You never heard of Ken Thompson!?"
>"No, who is he?"
>
>	Either they don't teach kids anything in school any more or I'm
>older than I thought.
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute

Until the last year or two the Ivy schools have been predominantly
Non-UNIX oriented. Schools with lots of money to spend traditionally
spent it on big hardware (read IBM/Honeywell/Cyber/Univac/Pr1me) whereas
spendthrifty schools purchased PDP's and VAXen. Only recently
with the invention of the workstation have large scale purchases
of UNIX boxes become prevalent.  And even so a lot of Computer Centers
have opted for Macintosh and PC clusters in lieu of UNIX workstations.

But then maybe your programmer concentrated in Mathematics instead of
Systems Programming.

Consider this a gross characterization.
- Andrew Hudson
abh0 at gte.com