How do you tell a wizard?

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.mu.oz.au
Sat Oct 21 15:33:42 AEST 1989

In article <89Oct20.205428edt.19392 at me.utoronto.ca>, ip at me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) writes:
> In article <917 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu writes:
> >I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

> Even our chinese scholar who onlys know a few essential Unix commands to
> survive and quits "vi" by typing control-Z learned to call "vi" vee-eye!

There are two separate questions:  "what does the manual say the program
is to be called" and "what might a wizard actually call it".  Someone
who has read and understood the vi manual might know perfectly well what
the authors wanted it to be called, but use something less printable.
Just like people pronounce MS-DOS "mess-doss" or "em ess doesn't".
Too bad the C book didn't say how to pronounce "char" or I could tell
the people who pronounce it "care" that they aren't Real Wizards (TM)
even if they _can_ write code that works.