How do you tell a wizard?

Overworked & Underpaid kilroy at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Oct 14 01:57:18 AEST 1989

In article <31 at minya.UUCP>, in response to a question about determining a
`Unix Wizard', jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

>[T]o determine whether someone was really an expert [...] ask any reasonably
>complex question, and if the answer starts with "That depends...", then you
>know you have an expert.  [...]  You see, there's a general phomenon that,
>when people are trying to pretend to expertise, they usually make the
>mistake of trying to give quick, definitive answers.

Isn't it interesting to note that John tries to give a quick, definitive
answer here?

8^)

As he pointed out, the heuristic isn't perfect:  I do not recall *ever*
hearing Chris Torek start an answer with `that depends', unless it was
a question about where to have dinner...

kilroy at cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"The best speech is what is short and reasonable."
				Ali ibn-abu-Talib, cit. from Ali the Caliph