vmunix: stropen: out of streams in SunOS 4.0 ??

Joe Konczal konczal at mail-gw.ncsl.nist.gov
Fri Oct 13 01:28:55 AEST 1989

Although I've never had this problem, it looks like you are running
out of space in a kernel table, which doesn't seem awfully wierd on a
heavily loaded system.

It's so easy to reconfigure the SunOS 4.0 kernel you might hardly need
to look at the instructions in "System and Network Administsration",
Chapter 9.  According a comment near the top of the generic
configuration file, /usr/share/sys/sun4/conf/GENERIC, the sizes of
"various kernel data structures" are controlled by `maxusers'.
Increase `maxusers' and your problem will probably go away until a lot
more users login or the load of the server is even higher.  You might
as well remove all the things you don't need from your kernel
configuration while you're at it.  I doubled `maxusers', from 8 to 16,
on my Sun 3, commented out most of the configuration file, and ended
up with new kernel 20% smaller than the generic kernel.

Joe Konczal