Funny messages

Joe English jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu
Wed Sep 13 16:37:59 AEST 1989

darcy at bbm.UUCP (D'Arcy Cain) writes:
>I guess this is the perfect newsgroup for this question.  Can
>anyone tell me why when I get to comp.unix.wizards in the news
>I get the following on the screen:
>
>/:*Look! An xargs!! (Re: r/:j
>
>It even comes out reverse video and then gives a message that it
>is trashing some articles.  At first I thought it was a one time
>glitch but it seems to be persistent.

Heh.  Don't worry, this is not a bug, it's a feature,
and you haven't missed anything...

#ifdef YOU_WERE_SERIOUS

You probably pressed K instead of k and rn placed the
:j command in your KILL file so it gets rid of that
subject automatically.  Try pressing ^K while in this
group to edit the file.  Then again, you may want to
leave it in there.

#else

This computer seems to be doing the same thing!
I wasn't going to mention it until you did, but
maybe someone finally put some artificial intelligence
into rn so it automatically detects run-on subjects...
maybe that's why I can't even *get* to rec.humor anymore...

#endif

--Joe English

  jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu.  I couldn't resist.