killing bkgnd process on logout (was: Re^2: Checking for new mail)

Jan B. Andersen jba at harald.ruc.dk
Fri Sep 1 21:11:48 AEST 1989

bmw at isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:

-In article <92 at harald.UUCP> jba at harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
->>In article <128 at isgtec.UUCP> bmw at isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
->>[ in BSD systems ]
->>the process disconnects from your tty and continues running ...
->
->This has nothing to do with BSD vs Sys V.
->
->        [CSH man page excerpt deleted]

-Well, it sort-of does.  Csh's under SysV are usually sub-sets of full-blown
-BSD csh's, and don't behave the same.

-If I run my checkmail process in the background from CTIX csh, then log out,
-checkmail dies.  If I do that on Sun csh, it behaves as your man page
-suggests (ignores SIGHUP).  I suspect that other SysV csh's also behave more
-like sh(1) than BSD csh in this regard.

The man page I quoted was from a NCR Tower running some sort of System V
(it definitly isn't BSD). Although I would prefer it to behave like the
sh(1) I would much more prefer _every_ csh(1) to behave exactly the same.
And that means behave like a genuie BSD csh.

-Bruce Walker                          ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!bmw

Sorry for all this quoting, but I found it nescessary.