killing bkgnd process on logout (was: Re^2: Checking for new mail)

J. William jwc at unify.UUCP
Sun Sep 3 01:34:22 AEST 1989

In article <130 at isgtec.UUCP> bmw at isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
> [...]
>If I run my checkmail process in the background from CTIX csh, then log out,
>checkmail dies.  If I do that on Sun csh, it behaves as your man page
>suggests (ignores SIGHUP).  I suspect that other SysV csh's also behave more
>like sh(1) than BSD csh in this regard.

I suspect that when checkmail is not ignoring SIGHUP.  Rather, BSD csh
puts each background job into a separate process group to facilitate
job control.  Only the process group currently in the forground is
attached to the controlling terminal.
--

Bill Claypool    W. (916) 920-9092 | I know what I know if you know what I mean