HELP converting filenames!

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Fri Sep 29 00:42:07 AEST 1989

In article <9234 at pyr.gatech.EDU> david at pyr.gatech.edu (David Brown) writes:
>Hiya.  I have a friend who has about 200 files in a directory that are all
>upper case.  They are data files that need to be in lower case, because
>his brain-dead program won't recognize upper case letters.  It's a i386

With friends like these, who needs VM/CMS?

for x in *
do mv $x `echo $x | tr A-Z a-z`
done

or in csh

foreach x (*)
mv $x `echo $x | tr A-Z a-z`
end

I didn't bother getting all the syntactic details right on the
tr calls, they differ from version to version anyway.  Test the
syntax by replacing mv with echo until you are satisfied with
the $x, f($x) pairs it prints, then do it for real.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 270249  Houston, Texas  77277