Stream Pipes

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Tue Sep 19 08:51:26 AEST 1989

On my Microport System V/386 and a number of other versions of
System V that I've checked, there is a "stream pipe" device
driver (sp) and a single node in the file system (/dev/spx) which
is a clone device interface to it.  HOWEVER, there is NO MAN PAGE
which describes how to use the danged thing.

Since it looks like this would be a perfect solution to a nasty
problem I have, I was wondering if ANYONE knows how to use this
device?  I tried the obvious, opening the device, forking,
writing from one process and reading from the other, but the read
returns an error (EIO).  The write does seem to work OK, though.

>From reading all the STREAMS related stuff I could get my hands
on, my suspicion is that I need to open two different streams to
the device and then use some obscure ioctl to link them together,
but the details elude me.  Can anyone help?
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"I have plenty of good sense.  I just choose to ignore it."
-Calvin