Accounting system for usage billing wanted

David C. Kovar kovar at popvax.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 19 08:27:58 AEST 1989

  I'm looking for an accounting system to run on a growing network of
Unix machines that we, unfortunately, must charge people to use. We'd
like it to handle the following:

	1) Billing for CPU, connect, print, and disk.
	2) Ability to handle manual billing entries.
	3) Ability to handle other billing information in a flat
           ascii file from an IBM system. (Ugh.)
	4) Ability to generate various types of usage reports.
	5) Ability to handle quotas and to disable users who've passed
	   their quotas.
	6) Ability to run without kernel modifications.
	7) Ability to run in a workstation environment. (Billing for
           multiple CPUs.)

  Am I asking for the impossible? Hopefully not. Any suggestions, pointers,
and the like would be most appreciated.

-David C. Kovar
	Technical Consultant			ARPA: kovar at popvax.harvard.edu
	Office of Information Technology	BITNET: corwin at harvarda.bitnet
	Harvard University			MacNET: DKovar
						Ma Bell: 617-732-1778

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."