Multiple Root ID's considered evil?

Bruce Barnett barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
Thu Sep 21 23:13:53 AEST 1989

In article <7383 at rpi.edu>, night at pawl (Trip Martin) writes:
>The method I've seen, and used on at least one occasion to plug that
>hole is to make their login shell something that can't be executed,
>usually /dev/null.  I think I can guarantee that no one's going to
>log in using that account without a login shell.

Just a small point: This will not affect someone using a TOPS account.
(TOPS is Sun's Mac file server software).
That is, if someone has an account and password, but the shell of /dev/null,
they can still use the TOPS account.

Also - I seen to recall that something complained when I used /dev/null.
Perhaps a log file. I have since then used /bin/true.
I don't know which technique is better.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett at crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett