Shutting off accounts (was: "Re: Multiple Root ID's ...")

kilroy hasn't been here in *weeks* kilroy at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Sep 22 01:11:19 AEST 1989

In article <2449 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
	(Bruce Barnett) writes:

>In article <7383 at rpi.edu>, night at pawl (Trip Martin) writes:
>>The method I've seen, and used on at least one occasion to plug that
>>hole is to make their login shell something that can't be executed,
>>usually /dev/null.
>
> I seen to recall that something complained when I used /dev/null.
>Perhaps a log file. I have since then used /bin/true.

Changing the password field to something invalid (eg, `*') is more
straightforward, but if you really want to keep an account from being
used by changing the shell I'd recommend /usr/ucb/yes . . .

kilroy at mimsy.umd.edu        Darren F. Provine         ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"Money is far more persuasive than logical arguments." --Euripides