SXT(7) pseudo-device driver programs (not shl(1))

Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs wcs at cbnewsh.ATT.COM
Tue Sep 26 07:48:15 AEST 1989

In article <194 at sdscal.UUCP> keith at sdscal.UUCP (Keith Jones) writes:
]There was a program on the University of Calgary system some time ago that
]allowed you to edit your shell command lines using Emacs-like commands.  It
]was written on a BSD machine and used PTYs.  Since this machine is a System
]V machine, we don't have PTYs.  But we do have SXTs.  Reading the manual
]entry makes me believe that this is the way to go.

Why do you need to use either one?  The Korn Shell (ksh) does
command-line editing using either emacs-style or vi-style, and
doesn't need pty, just raw-or-cbreak-mode.  What ptys are useful for
is doing job control; ksh was once hacked to do job control over sxts,
but I don't think that's currently supported.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# also found at 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs Somerset 4C423 Corp. Park 3

# More Colombians die from American tobacco than Americans from Colombian coke.