SXT(7) pseudo-device driver programs (not shl(1))

Keith Jones keith at sdscal.UUCP
Wed Sep 13 08:52:01 AEST 1989

There was a program on the University of Calgary system some time ago that
allowed you to edit your shell command lines using Emacs-like commands.  It
was written on a BSD machine and used PTYs.  Since this machine is a System
V machine, we don't have PTYs.  But we do have SXTs.  Reading the manual
entry makes me believe that this is the way to go.

I've been attempting to write something that looks a little like shl(1)
except that it allows you to edit your command line, but I've never been
able to get it working.  The point of this posting is to find out whether
anyone out there has successfully written a program that does this.

BTW, I have written something using pipe(2) that does a reasonably good job
of the above, but it seems more like a hack than a serious program.