Multiple Root ID's considered evil?

currey tom 76327 tcurrey at x102c.harris-atd.com
Thu Sep 14 00:45:06 AEST 1989

Today, everyone is very concerned about security measures to there
machine.  It seems to me that "root" is used for system maintience
more than anything else.  I agree that the root password must be
protected, but multiple uid 0 restricted logins are very helpful and
secure.

It is easy to write a small C program that calls specific commands under
specific conditions.  Make the executable the initial shell in the /etc/passwd
file. Bingo, a protected controlled 0 uid process.  This does assume that
there are no backdoors or calls like "exec /bin/csh" in the code.  These
shells become a definate advantage to control privilaged operations.