Multiple Root ID's considered evil?

Bill Doviak bill at lxn.eds.com
Thu Sep 14 01:03:25 AEST 1989

In article <17601 at bellcore.bellcore.com> tr at madeleine.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>On the subject of "Multiple Root ID's considered evil?",

>If you have a "*" as the password field, you rest assured that the cracker
>can try all he likes at that account.

After checking both PASSWD(4) and PASSWD(1), I can't determine the signifcance
of an asterisk in the password field unless you wish to prevent logins
entirely for that account. Is this the intention or is there some other
purpose for the "*"?
--
Bill Doviak                         | US MAIL: Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
UUCP: vu-vlsi!lxn!bill              |          Lanark Building