Shutting off accounts

She Blinded Me With Science kilroy at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Sep 23 00:49:04 AEST 1989

In article <2458 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
	(Bruce Barnett) writes:

>Changing the password field isn't enough. They can get in using
>/etc/hosts.equiv or .rhosts.

This is true if you allow net logins, of course.  (On the machines at
the NIH we aren't even *on* a network, so . . .)

On mimsy there is a directory called /etc/restrict/login, in which you
can create a file for a user whose account has been restricted and it
will let them know what & why.  I do not know if this is a BSD standard
or a local UMD hack (Mr. Torek produces those rather frequently  8^).

>Why is 'yes(1)' better than 'true(1)' ?

Because it's more *interesting*.

kilroy at mimsy.umd.edu        Darren F. Provine         ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"The main problem I have with cats is, they're not dogs." -- Kevin Cowherd