Shutting off accounts

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Sep 25 01:40:29 AEST 1989

In article <19747 at mimsy.UUCP> kilroy at mimsy.UUCP (She Blinded Me With Science)
writes:
>On mimsy there is a directory called /etc/restrict/login, in which you
>can create a file for a user whose account has been restricted and it
>will let them know what & why.  I do not know if this is a BSD standard
>or a local UMD hack (Mr. Torek produces those rather frequently  8^).

It is a local hack, but actually was Fred Blonder's idea.

Since /bin/login applies the restriction, there is no way for anyone
to circumvent it except via `su' (or other setuid programs, possibly
setuid to that person).  The latter is not worth protecting against
(too difficult, for too little gain).