Need help using /usr/lib/cpp for generic text

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Tue Sep 26 21:31:38 AEST 1989

In article <840 at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
(Mark A. Verber) writes:
>I would like to thank the >10 who have responded to my request.  All
>but one person suggested for me to use m4.  This would normally be the
>best solution (I thought about it too) except that m4 wants
>conditionals to be enclosed in quoting characters There is no pair of
>quoting characters that aren't used in my document.  Square brackets
>came the closest to being usable, but the chapter on VMS uses a lot of
>[].  I wanted to ifdef large sections of text... multiple paragraphs.
>Rrying to make sure that I have none of the quoting characters in
>the text itself was just too risky.

  You can use *anything* as the two quoting characters in an
m4-processed file.  I use ^ and @ in one file.  Heck, I just tried it,
and it appears that even control characters can be used as the quoting
characters.  Surely there are two characters in the ASCII character
set that you don't use in your file? :-)

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-782-0710