Need help using /usr/lib/cpp for generic text

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Sep 24 08:12:49 AEST 1989

>I believe (but I'm not sure) that m4 is freely redistributable (but not
>in the public domain, since I think it's Berkeley code).

Well, the M4 that comes with 4.3-tahoe is AT&T code.  There is, however,
a publicly-available M4 in the "comp.sources.unix" archive, in volume 13.

I second your recommendation that people use M4 rather than "cpp" for
this purpose, unless they decide to use the publicly-available "cpp" that
comes with X11; the "cpp" that comes with UNIX systems isn't intended to
be used as a general-purpose macro processor, and many aspects of its
behavior are subject to change, as people have already discovered.