m4 (was: Need help using /usr/lib/cpp)

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.UUCP
Sat Sep 23 10:52:30 AEST 1989

In article <14501 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik at Athena.MIT.EDU
(Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>In article <836 at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, verber at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
>(Mark A. Verber) writes:
>> [Various problems with using cpp for TeX text files.]
>
>I use the m4 macro preprocessor when I need that functionality for text
>files...

Yes, I would second that, unless you happen to have Minow's PD Cpp that
you can hack to your needs, or one of those partial-cpp jobs that allow
selective pre-processing. As of late, CPP is no longer just a pre-processor
that can be used anywhere. Standards effort fixed that.

>I believe (but I'm not sure) that m4 is freely redistributable
>(but not in the public domain, since I think it's Berkeley code)

Not BSD m4: it is V7 code. I posted a PD m4 to the net long ago. [Shuffle,
move heap of paper, shuffle...] Ah, yes... see comp.sources.unix volume13
under uunet.uu.net and pick up m4/part[01-02]. It does have a man page.

oz
The king: If there's no meaning	   	    Usenet:    oz at nexus.yorku.ca
in it, that saves a world of trouble        ......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz
you know, as we needn't try to find any.    Bitnet: oz@[yulibra|yuyetti]
Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)         Phonet: +1 416 736-5257x3976