sendmail config file question

MSHAW at WL9.Prime.COM MSHAW at WL9.Prime.COM
Thu Aug 16 00:49:00 AEST 1990

I'm not a sendmail guru yet but here's my help anyway.

To recap you put.....

| We're getting ready to change our domain name, and I want to make sendmail
| clever enough to handle mapping the old domain to the new one.  Problem is,
| we're already doing that from the domain name of about a year ago.
|
| Basically, right now I have:
|
| DDitstd.sri.com                         current domain name
| DEistc.sri.com                          old domain name
|
| S1
| R$*<@$-.$E>$*         $1<@$2.$D>$3      change domain name
| R$*<@$E>$*            $1<@$D>$2         change domain name
|
| and likewise for S2.  Now, to handle both old domain names, I figured I
| could use a class:
|
| DDerg.sri.com                           new domain name
| CDistc.sri.com itstd.sri.com            old domain names
|
| S1
| R$*<@$-.$=D>$*        $1<@$2.$D>$3      change domain name
| R$*<@$=D>$*           $1<@$D>$2         change domain name
|
| and likewise for S2.
|
| But this doesn't work; the matches against the class fail.  Reading the
| sendmail manual, it mentions something about "token" being the unit of
| a class.  I'm assuming the match is failing because "istc.sri.com" and
| "itstd.sri.com" are three tokens each rather than one.
|
| Is this right?  If so, is there a way to do what I want with classes?

Unless you've done a typo' then you've defined a macro (with the D) and a
class (with the C) both the macro and the class have the same name (D). I'd
write something like the below instead.

#
# Define Macro N (New-domain-name)
# and Class O (Old-domain-names)

#
DNerg.sri.com                               new domain name
COistc.sri.com itstd.sri.com                old domain names

S1
R$*<@$-.$=O>$*       $1<@$2.$O>$3           change domain name
R$*<@$=O>$*          $1<@$O>$2              change domain name

Of course I'd also have the old domains defined in a file and then use the
F command instead of C thus:

FO/usr/lib/domains.old                      old domain names

domains.old would contain..

istc.sri.com
itstd.sri.com

Then I'd be able to update the list of old domains without having to restart
and reconfigure sendmail (just in case I moved yet again).

    Mike Shaw.

/* The opinions expressed in this notice are my own and not those of Prime
   Computer Inc. */