UNIX Seminars - Summary of Responses

David Barts davidb at Pacer.UUCP
Wed Aug 29 02:34:05 AEST 1990

Thanks to all who responded to my posting.  Since I posted, I have
learned that the bean counters are very reluctant to send me to any
seminar outside of the Seattle area, so that rules out all but one
response.

Also, I should have mentioned that we do not have a UNIX source code
license, so in addition to not being able to do any halfway useful
customizing of our UNIX system, it seems that the best seminars are
off-limits to me :-(.

The most-mentioned seminars were the USENIX tutorials offered in
conjunction with their conferences.  They offer both BSD and Sys V
versions, and both require a source license.  For more information,
call 415-528-8649.  (recommended by many)

AT&T also offers a UNIX internals course (Sys V of course).  Source
license required.  (barnett at unclejack.crd.ge.bom)

Sun offers a SunOS internals class in various locations, including
Seattle.  No mention on whether or not a source license is required.
(konkord!drc) [I will be contacting the local Sun office for more
details on this one.]

aspect!kevinc wrote to tell about a UNIX internals seminar sponsored
by his company and taught by a Boulder Software Group (Boulder, CO)
employee.

Bill Ruskin Consulting (Silicon Valley, Ph. 408-241-8319) will be
teaching courses on HP-UX (generally Sys.V with some BSD enhancements)
from 10 to 12 Oct. (rajeev at hpsrrkm.hp.com)

The UCB extension in Menlo Park (415-323-8141) offers evening courses
in UNIX internals (Course number 308270).  (rajeev at hpsrrkm.hp.com)
[This course is offered two nights a week for five weeks, so unless you
live in the area, forget it.]

Note:  Nobody has been quoted here.  All responses have been summarized
in my own words.

--
David Barts			Pacer Corporation, Bothell, WA
davidb at pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb