How to write a Unix Shell?

Tom Armistead toma at ozdaltx.UUCP
Mon Aug 27 12:24:03 AEST 1990

Does anyone know where I can find any information on how to write a Unix
command shell (like sh or ksh)?

I have access to ksh and bash source, but don't want to spend the rest of
my life trying to figure those out.

I would like to find out how the environment space is handled. What, if
anything, needs to be done to siatisfy the kernel and/or the C library
functions like getenv(), putenv() and popen(). And probally a few million
other things that I haven't thought of.

Just to answer any "How come?" questions. "I don't have any real reasons,
just thought it might be fun..."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tom