Named Pipe Portability??

Robert Lin rlin at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 27 05:18:21 AEST 1990

I am trying to establish exactly how portable my program is, that uses
named pipes (i.e. mknod ("test.fifo", I_SFIFO | 0666, 0) call).

As far as I know, all V7, System III, System IV, SunOS will support
named pipes. According to Marc Rochkind, BSD 4.2 does NOT support
named pipes. My question is, does BSD 4.3 support named pipes? How common
is BSD 4.2, and which commercial machines are strictly BSD 4.2?

In particular, I'd like to find out if the following OS support name pipes:

1. Ultrix
2. AUX
3. AIX 3.0/3.1
4. HP/UX