vi on VMS Problem

Arlon Hunt nolra at ux1.lbl.gov
Thu Feb 15 06:11:52 AEST 1990

Hello Usenetters,

I was running vi on our VMS system (I don't know who's the
vendor - all I know is that it's not the TPU version)
when some network problem interrupted the editing
session.  When I logged back on, and tried to do a
'vi -r fname', it gave me the error message:
'Can't Fork to execute recovery'.  From the temporary space,
I copied over the temporary files, which on VMS are called
$E$X01105.;1 and $R$X01105.;1.  What went wrong?  What is
forking?  And of course, what can I do to recover the editing
session (it would be difficult to reconstruct manually).  Thanks.