How to optimize BSD (SunOS 4) file system (esp. for Big partition)?

F. L. Charles Seeger III seeger at manatee.cis.ufl.edu
Sat Feb 10 09:55:57 AEST 1990

In article <22401 at adm.BRL.MIL> justice at dao.nrc.ca (Gerald Justice) writes:
|I am looking for some advice on optimizing the file systems on a Sun 4/280
|NFS and boot server running SunOS 4.0.1 (soon 4.0.3) used in a scientific
|data analysis environment.  The clients are 3/60's and 4/60's, all diskless.
|
|II) Advice on the effects of changing the following parameters:
|   A) number of cylinders per group
|   B) maximum blocks per group
|   C) minimum free space
|   D) bytes per inode
|   E) anything else that I can usefully adjust?

F) maxbpg (maximum number of blocks any single file can allocate out of a
	cylinder group---defaults to 25%)
G) fragsize

Specifically, how should these parameters be set for special file systems,
such as ones that contain only exported swap files under SunOS 4, or news
partitions, or others whose usage patterns vary greatly from the "norm".

|Thank you in advance.
|Email responses will be summarized if there is sufficient interest.

I think that you may assume that there is sufficient interest if there is
some good advice.  A month or so ago I posted a similar request to a couple
of mailing lists, but all that I received were "me-toos".  I am interested
in seeing either some anecdotal experience, real measured data, or the
opinions of some real guru/wizard types.  Thanks-in-advance.

|justice at dao.nrc.ca BITNET:justice at nrcdao DAO Victoria, BC CANADA (604) 388-0055

Regards,
Chuck
--
  Charles Seeger    E301 CSE Building        +1 904 392 1508
  CIS Department    University of Florida