bigger longs (64 bits)

David A. Truesdell truesdel at sun217..nas.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 7 19:02:36 AEST 1990

peralta at pinocchio.Encore.COM (Rick Peralta) writes:

>Does anyone have arguments (applications) for using 64 bits?
>
>A few that come to mind are:
>
>	. larger disk storage
>	  (no joke single volumes will be breaking lseek() soon)

lseek is already "broken" here.  I'm in the process of testing a striped
filesystem which currently weighs in at 20 GigaBytes, with a production size
expected to be 200+ GB.  Our fsck needs a special "long lseek" (64 bits) to
move around.

Also, I believe the cray allows files of more than 2 GB.  It already has
64 bit longs.

T.T.F.N.,
dave truesdell (truesdel at prandtl.nas.nasa.gov)

"Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence." -- Dijkstra
"Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs." -- Kernighan