bigger longs (64 bits)

Mark Harrison markh at attctc.Dallas.TX.US
Fri Feb 9 05:42:37 AEST 1990

writes:
>What are the feelings here regarding 64 bit longs?

As Unix tries to get a larger share of the commercial market, We will see
a need for storing numeric values with 18-digit precision, ala COBOL and
the IBM mainframe.  This can be accomplished in 64 bits, and is probably
the reason "they" chose 18 digits as their maximum precision.

btw, I have always heard 64 bit integers referred to as "xlongs" (extra
longs)... is this common or just our own local jargon?

Mark Harrison
(markh @ attctc)