Unix Jargon File Wanted

Don Libes libes at cme.nist.gov
Fri Feb 2 08:56:00 AEST 1990

In article <131076 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> henry at angel.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton -- Software Products) writes:
>In article <22278 at adm.BRL.MIL>, ZZASSGL%cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:
>    *  I'm currently writing an introduction to Unix for new
>    *  users of our mainframe Unix system here.  I want to
>    *  include a guide to Unix jargon ....

>If the readers/users are really beginners, I would recommend
>first purchasing some of the introductory texts on UNIX.
>Blowing my own trumpet first, take a look at
>    Introducing UNIX System V, by Rachel Morgan and Henry McGilton,

Well as long as people are blowing their own trumpets, I think the
specific request for "a guide to UNIX jargon" might better be
satisfied by "Life With UNIX".  Incidentally, I think Henry's book is
very good for people who want to learn to use UNIX (as opposed to
people who just want to learn the jargon).  In fact, here is what
"Life With UNIX" (page 105) says about "Introducing the UNIX System [V]":

	We give this book our highest recommendation as an
	introductory UNIX text.  It is extremely comprehensive and
	yet reads easily.  A separate version is available that
	concentrates on System V.

Don Libes          libes at cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes