(none)

woodb!scsmo1!don at cs.umd.edu woodb!scsmo1!don at cs.umd.edu
Sun Feb 18 05:22:56 AEST 1990

To: mimsy!brl.mil!unix-wiz
Subject: RE: Printer disable

To: woodb!mimsy!brl.mil!unix-wiz (Unix Wizards List)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 90 11:13:12 CST
From: don at scsmo1.UUCP (Don Ingli)

> From: "Kenneth J. Hendrickson" <kjh at pollux.usc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Printer disabled and "users"
> Date: 17 Feb 90 03:54:11 GMT
> Sender: news at usc.edu
> To:       unix-wizards at sem.brl.mil
>
> In article <1990Jan30.222324.21459 at aqdata.uucp> sullivan at aqdata.uucp (Michael T.
>  Sullivan) writes:
> > . . . One of these is shutting the printer off when it
> >is finished printing.  . . .
> >What happens in System V is that when a job is sent to a printer
> >that is shut off, the lp scheduler disables the printer.
> >Are there any solutions to this disabled lp problem?
>
> Wire the switch to the ON position.
>
> Kenneth J. Hendrickson N8DGN    kjh at usc.edu    ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh
>
> -----------------------------

Not only if the printer is shut off.. it also disables if it is off-line!

I know my Sys V UNIX 3.2 running on the AT&T 3b2s have auto-retry and after
xmins it will go into disable. Also we allow ALL users to use the
enable and disable commands.  This is done via lpmgmt in sysadm. This will
help you the sysadm (if you can trust your users for doing disables) by
allowing the users to try to enable printers themselves before running to you
for help.  It has saved some headaches in my office.

--
 DON INGLI-United States Department of Agriculture - Soil Conservation Service
 INTERNET: scsmo1!don at uunet.uu.net    PHONEnet: 314!875!5344