Frequently Asked Questions

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amull at Morgan.COM
Wed Feb 21 11:20:08 AEST 1990

One question, (which must not have been asked too frequently, either)
ocurred to me as I dutifully read the frequently posted frequently
asked questions posting. First, a bit of context:

> Article 7825 of comp.unix.wizards:

... about 950 lines deleted ...

> \ reduce	APL

... and now for my question:

How frequently has this error been neglected?

In case anyone cares; the APL character \ is called 'Backslash' and
the primitive functions it refers to are 'scan' and 'expand'. The APL
character / is called 'slash' and refers to the primitives 'compress',
'reduce' and 'replicate'. The backslash character also has the name
'slope', and to make matters worse, it is possible on certain keyboards
to have two different characters, 'APL backslash' and 'national
backslash' to which the following quote applies:

	'The appearance of some characters may be very similar even
	 though they are distinct...'

Yumm.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt