Is it possible to hide process args from 'ps -ef'??

Helge Egelund Rasmussen her at compel.UUCP
Wed Apr 17 19:30:27 AEST 1991

It is possible to give Oracle programs the username/password on the
command line, ie :
    $ sqlplus scott/tiger

This is all very nice, BUT when another user execute 'ps -ef' he/she
can see the password!

Is it possible to hide the arguments, so that they won't show up in
the 'ps' output (possibly by 'exec'ing sqlplus in some devious way :-)??

I know that Oracle will ask for the username & password if these aren't given
as arguments, but I would prefer giving them as arguments.

Btw. I'm using SysV3 (Interactive Unix).

Helge
---
Helge E. Rasmussen  .  PHONE + 45 36 72 33 00  .  E-mail:  her at compel.dk
Compel A/S          .  FAX   + 45 36 72 43 00  .
Copenhagen, Denmark