Is it possible to hide process args from 'ps -ef'??

xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au xtdn at levels.sait.edu.au
Sat Apr 20 00:26:32 AEST 1991

her at compel.UUCP (Helge Egelund Rasmussen) writes:
> It is possible to give Oracle programs the username/password on the
> command line, ie :
> Is it possible to hide the arguments, so that they won't show up in
> the 'ps' output

What you want to do is not good.  Sure you might be able to write something
which accepts command line arguments, hides them and then calls Oracle; but
there will always be a window of time between when your program is started
and when it zaps its arguments.  During that window, the arguments will be
available for all* to see.

I think you should re-evaluate your need to use command arguments.

* Mind you, systems, such as SCO Unix, which have C2 security, don't show
  processes belonging to other users (unless you have the appropriate
  permission).  Not that I'm advocating a switch to C2 Unix.

David Newall, who no longer works       Phone:  +61 8 344 2008
for SA Institute of Technology          E-mail: xtdn at lux.sait.edu.au
                "Life is uncertain:  Eat dessert first"