BSD tty security, part 4: What You Can Look Forward To

Ed Carp erc at Apple.COM
Tue Apr 30 02:37:24 AEST 1991

In article <3600:Apr2614:04:4391 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>6. I will give further details on the security holes to anyone who
>convinces me that he has a legitimate interest. That means I want a
>verifiable chain of people and phone numbers from the contact for a
>major network down to whoever wants the information, plus a better

Um, what IS this bullshit?  Who the hell are you to set yourself up as some sort
of net.god and tell us that you will "bless" us with all your neat little hacks
and info only if we satisfy your little set of rules?  Your pathetic excuses
about protecting the information from "black hats" is unmitigated bullshit.
The only thing you are doing is concealing any valuable information that you
may have from the people who have a genuine need for your information.  The
folks who already care about cracking into systems already know about this
stuff anyway.  Get real.  You sound like Gene Spafford when the baloon went
up on the Internet virus/Morris stuff.  He, too, wanted to "protect" the
unwashed from knowing what was going on.  I'm glad to see that he has a more
enlightened point of view.
--
Ed Carp  N7EKG/6	erc at khijol.UUCP		...uunet!khijol!erc
UUWEST Consulting	Alameda, CA		415/814-0550

Computers HAVE caused a revolution in how much information we
can safely ignore!    --robs at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rob Schaeffer)

-- Absolutely unabashed Gates McFadden groupie! --