Shared libraries (was Re: Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing))

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Tue Apr 16 21:03:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr15.224311.3950 at ida.liu.se>
	d89peter at odalix.ida.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) writes:

>(some discussion about windows vs text terminals deleted)

That's fine. I only want to show an alternative. I don't want to impose it
to everyone else.

>I would even go as far as saying that they mostly have positive side-effects.
>That way bug-fixes in the libraries can be introduced and automatically be
>in effect in all the programs that use those libraries.

If you have a rationally small environment, there will be much fewer bugs than
X-aged-several-years.

>No need to recompile
>all zillions small and big programs.

If you have a rationally small environment, you don't have zillions of small
and big programs.

I suspect shared libraries may introduce new types of security holes.

							Masataka Ohta