Shared libraries (was Re: Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing))

Chris Siebenmann cks at hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Sat Apr 20 07:33:10 AEST 1991

jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes (or at least I think
he does, in a quoted article:
| It is my impression that the Unix industry has, in general, come to
| agreement on the idea that shared libraries are a good thing, simply
| because they make more memory available to the user while having little
| or no negative side-effects.

 Don't forget "if implemented carefully and well". Unfortunately, it
seems dangerous to rely on this happening -- compare the startup
times of the same application linked statically and with shared
libraries on SunOS for a drastic illustration (SunOS also seems to
have problems fork()ing dynamically-linked programs, but I don't
have a handy test program to check this again).

--
	"This will be dynamically handled, possibly correctly, in 4.1."
		- Dan Davison on streams configuration in SunOS 4.0