Shared Libraries: Unique to Suns??

Scott Bennett bennett at mp.cs.niu.edu
Wed Apr 3 13:06:46 AEST 1991

In article <6926 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>This is not entirely true.  Yes, the SVR4 dynamic shared libraries
>>began with the SunOS shared libraries.  But the programming interface
>>(dlopen() et al) and many performance improvements were done at AT&T
>>for SVR4.

     Well, to add one more to the list that beat out SunOS, I'd like
to point to OS/360, which always had both statically and dynamically
linked libraries.  MVS/XA still does.

>The implementations of "dlopen()" and company were, as I remember, a bit
>  [text deleted  --SJB]
>
>>I don't know if the latest SunOS shared libraries are in ELF format, as
>>the AT&T ones are.
>
>SunOS 4.1 doesn't use ELF.

     And now, to return to the subject line ;-), we should note that,
among computers currently being sold, the NeXT software also has both
statically and dynamically linked libraries.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1 at NIU                                        *